Thursday, April 29, 2010

Meet Adelaide Baber!

Who is Adelaide Baber?

Well, let me enlighten you. Many of my campers call me “cool-aide” because that’s often times how I introduce myself because it rhymes with my first name. I am one of the few “home-grown” counselors, so I figured what better way to tell you how I got to where I am now than through a fun little story with pictures. Yes, you get to see pictures of me through several stages of life from the cute to awkward to being a counselor. J

The Story of Adelaide Baber as a Coppercreeker…

Once Upon a time there was ten year old little girl named Adelaide who adventured to a faraway place called Coppercreek. She spent her first 2-weeks away from home in a cabin called Billabong.

Every summer, Adelaide could hardly wait to find out who her counselor was and to reunite with old camp friends…

She grew so fond of Copprecreek that she wanted to spend as much time as possible there… soon 2-weeks turned into 4-weeks.. and then an additional Horsemastership Session to end the summer.

At 13years old, Adelaide got to go on her first ever backpacking trip that was 3days and 2nights in Lassen National Park. She fell in love with the outdoors.

Although Adelaide was very adventurous by nature she was “deathly afraid of heights.” However, with the support and encouragement from counselors and fellow campers she overcame her fear and climbed to new heights.

In 2004, Adelaide participated in the 2-week Trek Leadership program and got to go to the Lava Beds to go caving, 4day backpacking trip, and white water rafting down the Trinity River.



Adelaide had such a great time on 2-week Trek that she went on 4-week Trek the following summer. A few highlights of the trip were an 8-day Backpacking trip in the Trinity Alps and a 4day white water rafting trip down the Klamath River.


The summer of 2006, Adelaide was a Counselor in Training (CIT). It was strange for her to be back in camp after spending the previous summer on Trek, but she fell in love with Traditional camp all over again. She was ecstatic when she was invited back as a Junior Counselor for the following summer.


As a Junior Counselor, she got to go on outpost with campers and run some activities.

Best of all, she and her long time camp friends got to spend one more summer being silly and entertaining campers.

Before the little girl knew it she had grown into a young lady, and 8 summers of making lifelong memories and friendships at Coppercreek had flown by. She was now a high school graduate and worst of all… an Adult!



The highlights of her summer that year were not nearly as exciting as her previous ones at Coppercreek but they; included, working at her Granny’s clothing store, wakeboarding, working as a counselor at a Leadership Summer camp, and dropping her little sister off for her first 2-week Trek experience.


In the fall of 2008, Adelaide moved into college at the University of the Pacific.

Although she had moved away from home she still kept in contact with her family by running races with her Mom. They even ran the San Francisco Women’s Nike Marathon!

Adelaide found that she could dress up silly like she use to for camp dances at some college functions. Like in this picture that was taken at a 80s themed event. That night brought back a lot of great camp memories!

Adelaide had an amazing first year of college, but missed all of her great times at Coppercreek. So she made the best decision of her adult life and applied to be a counselor.

She got to spend her mornings with the “Barn Rats,” feeding the small animals, and mountain biking. Then spent the afternoons lifeguarding at the pool or driving the boat and teaching campers how to wakeboard, waterski, and/or kneeboard. But, best of all she got to be a cabin counselor to little girls just like she was once upon a time.

Hi Everyone!!

I hope you enjoyed my story and pictures of my years as a Coppercreeker! I’m already counting down the days until First session begins and can hardly wait to see all the old and new faces! My 2nd year of college has been great and gone by a little too fast. People keep telling me that as you grow older the faster time goes by and I’m not sure if I like that or not. I hope that all of you are having a fantastic school year and are just as excited as I am to try new things and go on fun adventures this summer!

Love Always,

Adelaide or “Cool-Aide”





2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so excited that adelaide is back, i missed her so much. she was a great counsler last year. Can't wait till camp

Cynthia said...

Hey! This year will be my first year at Coppercreek, but I've been a part of organizing Nike's Women's Marathon for years now! I'm glad you and your mom enjoy running it! I love preparing it! Can't wait to mee you!