Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Meet Chris Petersson!

Hello everyone!

I am Chris Petersson and I can’t tell you how excited I am to work at Copper Creek as the rock climbing instructor this summer.

I am 21 years old and have always been one to seek out new things to see and experience. This urge to see and experience is what has brought me all over the world and also, along with my love for kids, is what motivated me to get a job at Copper Creek this summer.

I have always had a love for the great outdoors and all the amazing learning opportunities it has to offer and for a while now have dreamed of getting into outdoor education. When I heard that Copper Creek was looking for a rock climbing instructor I was quick to jump on board knowing that this would be a great step in the right direction of where I want my life to go.

I grew up in Cambridge, MA and still use my mum’s house there as my home base when I am not out seeing and experiencing this amazing world. I am a graduate of New England School of Photography and have always dreamed of being a high school photography teacher someday when I am ready to settle down. Having worked for many different newspapers and online publications, I am a published photographer but I much prefer working on my personal projects, which I have used for some different gallery showings.

I love to travel and have gone on many different adventures from working on a documentary project in Guatemala for weeks to hitch-hiking all over New Zealand for 5 months. I have worked all sorts of jobs from managing a tiny movie theater to being a sales associate at Eastern Mountain Sports and pretty much everything in between. I worked at summer camps in the past but never have I worked at a sleep over camp so I am looking forward to the new experience.

I am a fun loving guy who never has had any problems making friends with new people, in fact my mom often tells me I have too many friends but this cant be true... one can never have too many friends!
I learned how to rock climb just about 5 years ago as part of a National Outdoor Leadership School program where I spent 3 months living out in the wilderness learning many different aspects of outdoor recreational sports. After the 3 week intensive rock climbing section, I was hooked and have been climbing ever since. I have done everything from top-roping in gyms to traditional multi-pitch lead climbing.

Over the years, I have learned a lot about the mental and physical benefits of climbing and look forward to sharing my knowledge and excitement with all of you. I’m sure you will all be amazed to see how much rock climbing has to offer, it’s not only is a great physical sport but also is almost purely based on mental focus and determination. Rock climbing is an unbelievable way to have a blast in the great outdoors and also a means to learn a ton about yourself and everyone’s limitless possibilities.

I have always been one to give it my all and this summer will be no exception. I am going to try my hardest to do my part in making this an amazing summer for everyone at Copper Creek, on the ropes and with my cabin alike. I look forward to making tons of new friends to have fun with and also sharing my knowledge and perspectives of this world in hopes that everyone will leave at the end of the summer, a bigger and better person.

Can’t wait to meet all you wonderful people!!

Live, Love, Learn

Chris Petersson

No comments: